The new year brings a new opportunity to reset. Many people set out with big plans to lose weight, exercise more and live an overall healthier lifestyle. While these are all great goals, unfortunately within a month or so, many people get frustrated and quit altogether.
The Covid-19 Pandemic has caused our lives to undergo some dramatic changes that turned into habits and not necessarily healthy ones. The problem is that we try to do too many things at once. Instead, set realistic goals if you truly want to achieve success. As we begin to move past Covid-19 here are some tips from an article in the Costco Connection to take with you into 2021 to recharge your healthy lifestyle.
- While working from home, have a set, scheduled mealtime, just as you would at your workplace.
- Prepare nutritious meals and snacks in advance, and have them on your desk.
- Consume nutritious protein-based meals, fresh fruits and vegetables that improve satiety and keep you full longer.
- Create a workout schedule – A 30-minute session, fives days a week, is ideal for beginners.
- Do aerobic and resistance exercises at home – in the absence of gym equipment, try brisk walking, using the stairs, jumping rope, squats or weight training with heavy books, a gallon of water or a loaded laundry basket.
- Practice behavioral modifications to control food cravings by redirecting your mind – go a for a walk, meditate or listen to music.
- Try relaxation techniques to keep your mind calm and focused, such as yoga, meditation and exercise, and look into apps and online tools on relaxation.
- Maintain your social circle.
- Follow good sleep hygiene – stick to your routine, avoid binge-watching late at night and don’t use electronic gadgets while in bed.
- Keep up with your medical appointments. Many offices offer telemedicine.
- Comply with your medication regimen and supplements.
- Don’t be hesitant to ask for professional help if you see your weight creep up.
- Never try an over-the-counter weight loss medication or a diet plan without consulting a weight loss specialist.
Remember, what works for someone else may not be what will work best for you. Following the tips above is a good place to start. The key is mindset: commit to taking smalls steps to reset your health. Find what works for you and don’t be afraid to course correct when needed. Transformation happens by doing a few things well, not by doing one thing perfectly.
Our mission at Orchard Hospital is to provide our community with superior health care. We strive to ensure that your experience at Orchard Hospital is as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Our priority is to provide you with the care you need when you need it, with skill, compassion, and respect.